Sunday, August 19, 2012

Homemade Ketchup



I am completely utterly obsessed with condiments.  If I am craving a food item more than likely it's because I'm really craving whatever condiment I plan on drowning that particular food in.  With steak it's A-1 sauce, with shrimp it's cocktail sauce, with sushi it's the wasabi I crave.  But nothing, I mean nothing tickles my fancy more than ketchup.  Yup I'm in love with the red stuff.  I can seriously guzzle an entire bottle of it in less than a week.  Unfortunately I know how bad this stuff is for me, so not too long ago I reached out to my buddies on Facebook curious to know what I could do about my unhealthy addiction.  
My sweet sister in law must understand my fascination with the stuff because instead of telling me to switch to another condiment she gave me a recipe to make my own.  I seriously never thought about doing this, of course I figured it would be too difficult. 
Nope.  Not difficult at all.  I actually like the idea of being able to add more or less of something to adjust it to my own liking.  And because there is no fructose corn syrup I believe it to be healthier too. Here is the recipe she gave me. 
1 6 oz can of tomato paste
2 tbsp of Splenda or three packets
3/4 cup of water
1/2 cup of vinegar
1/4 tsp of onion powder
1/8 tsp of garlic powder
Whisk all ingredients together then simmer for ten minutes.  Let cool before placing in the refrigerator, can be stored up to four months. 
I also added a little black pepper and cayenne pepper to mine and used stevia instead of Splenda. 
Turned out great!!!  Thank you sister in law!! 
Linking up to:
The Dedicated House
Raising Oranges
diy Home Sweet Home





DIY Show Off


No comments:

Post a Comment